Is buffalo chicken dip the best dip around? It seems to make an appearance at many parties, tailgates and dip parties. Are those a thing? They should be.
For me, it’s a toss-up between buffalo chicken and spinach-artichoke dip. I love both of them so much I could cry just thinking about them. Buffalo chicken dip is reminiscent of those wings we all love, but a lot less messy…spicy, cheesy, creamy and hearty (from all the chicken). But best of all, it’s full of ranch dressing flavor. RANCH! That deserves a post all of it’s own.
I’ve been making this version for a long time now and have, in my opinion, perfected it. Many recipes call for only five ingredients: cream cheese, chicken (often canned…ewwww), hot sauce, ranch, and cheese. This recipe calls for all of those, but I also add mayo to the base for richness and sour cream for some tang to cut through said richness. These up the creaminess too. A combination of cheddar and Pepper Jack gives you that signature flavor, but adds some more spice to the mix. We’re going to add lots of chicken too! And we’re going to roast it ourselves (or use a rotisserie chicken if you like). Please no canned…that stuff gives me the creeps!
You can eat this for dinner all on it’s own (why not), but I’ve put it inside breakfast tacos with some scrambled eggs, put it on a store-bought Boboli pizza crust sprinkled with more cheese and drizzled with ranch and green onions when it comes out of the oven, and put it inside quesadillas. Heck, I basically made this dip and put it inside some King’s Hawaiian rolls (recipe coming soon). It’s versatile and soooo good.
Make this baby for a party or for yourself and I promise there will be none left.
Spicy, cheesy, creamy, hearty buffalo chicken dip…full of ranch flavor!
- 2 large bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup hot sauce, preferably Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) pepper jack cheese, grated
- 5 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chicken breasts on the sheet pan, drizzle with a little olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch, hot sauce, garlic powder, cheeses and green onion (reserve a handful of cheese and green onion for topping). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and cut the breast from the bone. Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, using two forks or your fingers. Add to the dip mixture, stirring to combine. Transfer to a baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown on top. Serve hot with tortilla chips.