This recipe is a study in how truly fantastic well-paired simple ingredients can be. Caramelized broccoli with rich toasted pine nuts, salty Parmesan and bright lemon and basil combine to be some of the best broccoli I’ve ever had. Vegetables can be exciting!
This recipe comes from one of the major food players in my life, Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa). I say that like I actually know her. Regardless, she’s a huge influence in my cooking knowledge and style and her recipes never steer me wrong.
This broccoli is perfect as it is and really deserves to be the centerpiece on your table, so pair it with something that won’t steal the spotlight! A roasted chicken or salmon would be an acceptable pairing…still delicious but understated enough to allow this the starring role.
Caramelized broccoli with rich toasted pine nuts, salty Parmesan and bright lemon and basil combine to be some of the best broccoli you’ll ever have!
- 3-1/2 to 4 pounds broccoli, stems removed and cut into florets
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Olive oil, as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the broccoli on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the sliced garlic and toss to coat. Spread the broccoli in a single layer. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing once during cooking, until browned and crisp-tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, the lemon zest, juice, pine nuts, Parmesan and basil. Add the roasted broccoli and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Inspiration: Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli on foodnetwork.com