We’ve talked about my love of dips before, right? I’m that person at any party that’s hovering over the crockpot, dipping like I own it. (Let’s just be honest…I’m actually always just hovering by all the food at parties.)
I had a dip like this at a local restaurant and knew I had to come home and try to make it myself. That’s kind of my M.O. I got pretty close, to this deliciously spicy, chicken-filled dip. Do your parties always include some cream cheese-chicken dip combo? If so (and the answer is probably yes), make this one and be the hero of the party.
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 large or 3 medium poblano peppers, cut in 1/4 x 1-inch strips
- Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, coarsely grated, reserving a small handful for topping
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons chipotle puree or finely chopped chipotle peppers
- 5 to 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the chicken breasts on the pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken, until cooked through. Allow to cool before removing the skin and shredding the meat with your hands or two forks. Reduce the oven to 350°.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the poblano strips; season with salt and pepper. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until softened and the skin is blistered.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, chipotle puree, and green onions. Mix to combine. Stir in the poblano strips and shredded chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to an oven-safe casserole pan, sprinkle with the reserved cheddar cheese and cook until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before diving in. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.